Today was an unexpected day.
My short case was scheduled this afternoon. I was the last person to be examined before the review by our doctor-in-charge. I had a very miserable morning as my emotion could not calm down and seeing my group mates, one by one finishing their short cases, I felt slightly uneasy but not that bad comparing to the moment when my group mate, who was having his short case same time with me, asking questions which made me more nervous. So when the time came, I went the ward half an hour earlier and I thought I got a chance to be tested earlier but in the end, I was still the last person. It was the worst experience that I had. I was so shocked of myself to be so nervous till the doctor and patient laughed at me. I didn't know why I was so nervous. It wasn't that I don't know about the physical examination steps but I just got nervous. Even the doctor asked me to slow down but I just couldn't settle down the nervousness in me. During the presentation was even worse. I couldn't arrange the findings I had into sentences. My points were scattered here and there. I really don't know why I am like that. I must practice more and more. It was so embarrassed. Luckily the doctor didn't penalised me and just commented me to be quite rough towards the patient, so some demerit there.
During the review, our doctor commented our examination techniques and I learned a lot. She also said how we did not well in our paper 2 question 1. When she said the key points she wanted in the answer, I thought I would fail the question but luckily I got full mark in the other part of that question. She announced that I got the highest for the question. I was surprised and happy.
When the doctor (Dr Suhailah, neurologist) came to guide us 4 weeks ago, I thought she would be very fierce and strict. After following her for the 4 weeks, it turned out she is a very nice person but still very strict, in a way that make us learn a lot of things.
I am very thankful for her dedication and passion in teaching us. I am really happy and glad to have a nice doctor like her teaching us. The funny thing was that I thought she would not know my presence in the class because I was very quiet, seldom ask questions and seldom volunteered during the short case practices. She knew the name of all the students in my group and she only knew my name on the last day before the exam but after the exam, she knew me already and had a different opinion of me as during the review, she commented that most of the Chinese girls were quite quiet but trying their best to learn and paying attention in class. She liked that but hoped us to speak up during the exam time. She even asked Morrison to sleep less in class because he would start to sleep whenever the class start although he was actually listening to what was discuss in the class. :-)
Thank you, Dr Suhailah. I learnt a lot and I would continue to work hard in my next posting, Surgery...
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment